Friday, January 13, 2012


Fox Squirrel

While on an outing to the Houston Zoo with my wife I captured the above image of a Fox Squirrel. Fox Squirrels are the largest specie of tree squirrels native to North America. The Fox Squirrel can easily be mistaken for the American Red Squirrel or the Eastern Gray Squirrel. There were Fox Squirrels all around the Houston Zoo but, they were very hard to photograph because they would run and hide every time I pointed my camera at them. I guess they looked at my 70-300mm telephoto lens and thought better safe the sorry. As we turned a corner I saw the above squirrel preoccupied with eating. I had to slowly and smoothly swing my camera into place for the shot. I was only able to get this one image of this squirrel before it was gone. But I got lucky and it made for a great photograph. When photographing wildlife even in a zoo it pays to be ready at all times.

See the following Wikipedia link to learn more about the Fox Squirrel.

See my Facebook page for additional Photography and Photographic Art discussions.

To view my Photographic Art visit: Windows of Photography

Metadata: Nikon D3 with a Nikon NIKKOR AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G lens, Subject Distance: 5.01 meters, Exposure: 1/10s at f/5.6, ISO: 200, Focal Length: 220mm, Filter: Ultra Violet, Lighting: Natural Daylight, Post Processing: Adobe Photoshop CS5, Date: 10/11/2011 at 10:20 am

Copyright © 2012 Windows of Photography, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment