Monday, September 26, 2011


Wildlife Wonders
 
A zoo is a great place for many photographers to capture images of wildlife that otherwise would be unavailable are inaccessible in the wild. In this case I photographed the above giraffe at the Audubon Nature Institute in New Orleans, Louisiana. That being said, I highly recommend photographing wildlife in their native element when the opportunity presents itself. But, I haven't noticed many giraffes in the wilderness of the United States lately. Realistically though, what may be considered exotic wildlife is diminishing along with their habitats. This is unfortunate and may be unpreventable because of human population growth along with growing resource demands. Like with many things in life there are no easy solutions. An upside is that many zoos today, through their breeding and exchange programs are attempting to preserver species that would otherwise become extinct sooner. Even with the noble efforts of places like the Audubon Nature Institute I am afraid that some animal species will be lost to us in my lifetime. As I have said many times before; I am on a journey to capture and create images that reflects life. I look to photograph moments, to stop time if only for a fraction of a second. This is why wildlife photography is important to me. To capture and preserve those moments that may not exist in the future. Be it in the wild or a zoo.
 
Visit the Audubon Nature Institute web-site to learn more about their conservation program.
 
See my Facebook page for additional Photography and Photographic Art discussions.
 
To view my Photographic Art visit: Windows of Photography
 
Metadata: Nikon D3 with a Nikon NIKKOR AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G lens, Exposer: 1/160s at f/5.6, IOS: 200, Focal Length: 300mm, Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority, Exposure Bias: 0.00 EV, Metering Mode: Pattern, Filter: Ultra Violet, Subject Distance: 9.44 meters, Lighting: Natural Daylight, Date: 08/05/2009 at 12:05 pm, Post Processing: ACDSee Photo Editor 2008
 
Copyright © 2011 Windows of Photography, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment